While all posts related to braces and jaw surgery have been filed under the category Metal Mouth, I created this page to organize my thoughts and make finding information a lot easier.
I have known since I was young about the impending jaw surgery. For awhile, I accepted my jaw as it was. I realized after many dentist visits [and securing a good health insurance plan] that I’d have to seriously consider jaw surgery if I intended to eat at the age of 60.
It’s been a very long journey, even once I started the ball rolling. Here’s the timeline:
- Feb : 1st orthodontist visit.
- Mar : 2nd orthodontist visit.
- May : 1st oral surgeon visit.
- Jul : Several teeth are removed in preparation for braces.
- Oct : I get braces! Each adjustment is a painful process. :(
- Aug : Progress check!
- Nov : My gums aren’t doing so great.
- Dec : A spring is put in to keep space open between my teeth.
- Apr : I get laid off, but with COBRA, I keep my health insurance. *phew*
- Aug : Insurance approves the surgery! Due to scheduling issues, the next available surgery date is in October!
- Sep : I think I have a surgery date. I visit the orthodontist for what I would assume to be the last time pre-surgery. Hooks are in place! At my pre-op appointment, however, I find out the surgeon has been double-booked.
- Oct : A date in November opens up.
- Dec : That falls through, and an old/new date scheduled. I go to another pre-op appointment. I finally say “Goodbye” to the old face.
I document my hospital stay and count down to 2010.
- Jan : Recovery tests my patience. I’m on a liquid diet, but it’s more of a syringe diet. I do learn a few things in two short weeks. Even though I can’t eat, I still go out. I post my 1-month update.
- Feb : I’m banded shut for much longer than expected. NOT happy. By the end of the month, they remove the splint. It’s a minor victory since that means I can have more than just liquids.
- Mar : The bands are finally removed, and I can relearn how to eat! Now it’s a matter of waiting for braces to do the work.
- Nov : I still have braces! The teeth aren’t in place yet.
- Apr : I get news that the braces will be coming off soon! Up until this point, I’ve been going to my monthly adjustment appointments.
- May : Braces off at the end of the month. HUZZAH!
- June : A retainer to wear for the rest of my life. Oh, and reshaping the teeth and covering up my itty bitty canine with a veneer.
Orthognathic/Jaw Surgery Essentials: a useful list of items to keep around after surgery
I was also thinking of including a FAQ section, so if you have questions regarding orthodontics and jaw surgery, send them my way or just leave a comment on a related post!